Friday, July 13, 2007

Going Postal

So here's a new one...
Most of the people reading this probably already know that I share my name with one of my sisters-in-law. First name, last name, middle initial. Yup. You could say that both of us had the good fortune of marrying brothers. We like to say that they had the good fortune of marrying us. When she was a practicing midwife, I used to get calls from women who wanted me to deliver their babies. I was always quick to inform them that they had the wrong girl, because if I did any baby-catching there were sure to be drugs involved, whether they wanted them or not. And of course, I would pass along the correct information! We have had a few funny cases of "mistaken identity," or more appropriately, "confused identity," particularly when people thought that I was a nurse or in some way qualified to minister medical attention to the masses. I am most definitely not. Qualified. Nor, for that matter, am I a nurse.
Now, after the HELL that was the whole house fiasco, the fam and I moved in with said glorious sister-in-law and her hubby. YAY! And it was fantastic. But, clever me...I filled out a change of address form when we did...mainly because I wanted to keep getting Rolling Stone and the Fingerhut catalog. That was fine, although it did make for some excitement when the mail came. We managed to figure out which mail went to whom, and while she got MUCH cooler mail than I did, we did just fine.
Fast forward now. Remember, we moved to Bend. And what comes with moving, kids? CHANG OF ADDRESS forms. Because I am, as I think I may have mentioned once or twice, clever, I went ahead and filled out the online version of the change form. Good job, yeah?
No.
In an uncharacteristic moment that was seriously NOT clever, I filled out the change for the family instead of doing it individually. As it turns out, I inadvertently chose the "pain in the ass" version of the change form. That's right, I pretty much told the United States Postal Service that not only had I and my husband and children moved to Bend, but I essentially told them that my sister and brother-in-law had moved as well!!!!!
AAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!
Luckily, the mail carrier at who has their route knew them and the situation and actually knocked on the door to inform them of my faux pas. I had to go back and change the address back to the correct one for the bro and sis in law, and only change our address in the hubby's name. So my sis in law and I will still experience some confusion for a little while, but generally the mail should be getting where it needs to go and my brother in law will be getting the correct mail. Resolved, you ask? Why yes, I thought it was.
So guess what came in the mail today? Their garbage bill and their cable bill.
And while it's going to take some time to iron out the kinks, I'm not even going to lie...it was pretty groovy to be able to receive a bill in the mail (or two bills!) and be able to rip it up and not have to pay it.
Peace...

No comments: